Saturday 27 February 2010





Bun Loaf

This is a recipe I used years ago but had forgotten about until I found the scrap of paper it was written on, stuck to the wall of a cupboard I was clearing out.  I remember that I used to make 2 and freeze one I also remember how delicious it was spread with butter and eaten with a cup of tea.

Ingredients

8 oz mixed dried fruit
6 fl oz cold tea
8 oz self raising flour
Pinch of salt
4 oz soft brown sugar
1 beaten egg

Soak fruit in tea overnight.

Pre-heat the oven to 180C / 350F / gas 4

Place sugar, flour and salt in a bowl, mix to combine.

Drain the fruit, reserving the liquid.

Mix the fruit and beaten egg into the flour using a little liquid to make a soft dropping consistency, depending on the size of egg 1-2 tbsp of liquid should be enough.

Grease a 1lb loaf tin or round cake tin (should be at least 1 1/2 pint capacity) and line the base with greaseproof  paper.

Bake for 1 hour until firm.

Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Seafood Paella

Paella is the taste of Summer for me.  As soon as the sun is out so is the paella pan. I cooked this one on the hob, using two burners but i...