Saturday 6 March 2010

Beetroot and Chocolate Brownies


After to my visit to Blackheath Farmers Market I found I have a glut of  beetroot. Having pickled some roasted some and dyed my fingernails red, I came across a few more recipes for what was left.    If you try this delicious brownie recipe be sure to wear some disposable gloves.  The natural, earthy sweetness of the beetroot really comes through in these delicious chocolate treats and I still have enough beetroot for an exciting beetroot and orange soup.  (watch this space).





Ingredients


180 g dark chocolate (no less than 70% cocoa solids
100 g flour
100 g ground almonds                                                                  
90 g sugar
90 g butter
4 eggs
200 g grated raw beetroot
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
Icing sugar for decoration

Method

Peel and grate the beetroot and set aside                            
Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water
Beat the eggs and butter together add the sugar and beat the mixture until light and fluffy
Add the chocolate, flour, ground almonds, beetroot and vanilla extract and mix well
Line a small square baking tin with greaseproof paper, pour in the brownie mixture and bake for 25-30 minutes.  The brownies are cooked when a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Dust with icing sugar and when cool store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Seafood Paella

Paella is the taste of Summer for me.  As soon as the sun is out so is the paella pan. I cooked this one on the hob, using two burners but i...