Chicken and Potato Pies
2 large chicken breasts, boned and cut into very thin strips
400g peeled potatoes, thinly sliced
2 shallots, finely
2 tbsp tarragon leaves roughly chopped
2 tbsp chives, chopped
450g puff pastry
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
150ml double cream
Salt and pepper
1. Turn the potatoes in half the butter over a gentle heat until they are just tender – don’t let them brown. Remove them from the pan and allow them to cool in a large bowl.
2. Meanwhile, soften the shallot in the remaining butter and add the herbs and chicken, turning it over a steady heat for a few minutes until it is partially cooked. Mix it all carefully with the potatoes, season to taste and again, allow it to cool.
3. Divide the pastry into 4. Roll half the pastry into 8 circles about 16 cm. in diameter and put them straight onto a lightly buttered baking tray. Brush the edges with egg-yolk then pile the mixture in the middle.
4. Roll the rest of the pastry into slightly larger circles and cover the pies with then, sealing and crimping the edges. Cut a little circle in the tops (about 5cm in diameter) to make a lid, leaving it in place. Brush the whole surface with the rest of the egg-yolk.
5. Bake the pies for about 20 / 25 minutes, checking that they are not too brown – in which case turn the oven down slightly.
6. Then take them out, remove the lids and pour in the boiling cream, lifting the mixture gently to allow it to permeate the pies. Return them to the oven for ten minutes.