1 x 1.75kg/3½lb free-range boiling fowl, jointed
2 onions, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
125g/4oz mushrooms, sliced
1 bouquet garni
salt and pepper
50g/2oz plain flour
570ml/1 pint chicken stock
1 egg yolk
3 tbsp cream
juice of ½ lemon
For the garnish
4 rashers streaky bacon, rinded, rolled and grilled
1. Put the chicken, onions, carrots and mushrooms in a large pan with enough water to cover. Add the bouquet garni, salt and pepper. Bring slowly to the boil and simmer gently for 1 hour, or until the chicken is tender.
2. Strain the stock, reserving the vegetables and stock separately.
3. Remove the skin from the chicken, carve the meat and cut it into cubes.
4. Melt the butter, stir in the flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and gradually add the stock.
5. Bring to the boil and cook until the sauce thickens, stirring constantly. Add the meat and vegetables; remove from the heat.
6. Beat together the egg yolk and cream, add a little of the sauce and blend well.
7. Pour the mixture back into the pan and heat through without boiling. Add the lemon juice. Transfer the fricassee to a warmed serving dish and garnish with the grilled bacon rolls and parsley sprigs.